By Steven Kail on August 15, 2012
It's not uncommon for people with removable dentures to feel insecure while eating and talking. Removable dentures run the risk of slipping and moving, despite the use of messy adhesives. Fortunately, there is a more secure solution when it comes to wearing dentures. Implant-supported dentures offer the convenience of dentures with the added confidence of a secure fit. At Premier Dental Center, our experienced Jackson cosmetic dentist offers the latest advances in implant-supported dentures.
What Are Implant-Supported Dentures?
Implant-supported dentures utilize dental implants to anchor the dentures within the mouth and can be used for both the upper and lower jaws. Because the dentures are secured with dental implants, implant-supported dentures will not slip or slide while chewing or talking.
The Procedure for Implant-Supported Dentures
The treatment process for implant-supported dentures begins with a dental examination to determine if your jawbone can support implants. In order for the implant to be successful, candidates must have enough bone tissue. When we lose our teeth, the jawbone begins to change and disintegrate. For those who have been missing teeth for many years, a bone graft may be necessary to restore missing jawbone. Once the jawbone is sufficient for implant placement, three to five titanium posts will be surgically placed within the jaw. A secure bond forms as the jawbone heals around the titanium implants. Once fully healed, custom-made acrylic dentures are attached to the implants using stud-attachment or a thin metal bar. These attachments securely anchor the dentures to the implants so you can talk and eat with confidence.
The Benefits of Implant-Supported Dentures
Implant-supported dentures offer many benefits over traditional removable dentures. Here are some things to consider when deciding if implant-supported dentures are right for you:
- More Comfortable: Many find implant-supported dentures more comfortable than removable dentures since they don't slip or slide while eating and speaking.
- Eat Your Favorite Foods: Implant-supported dentures are anchored to the jawbone so you can eat all the foods that are difficult to eat with removable dentures.
- Regain Your Confidence: With implant-supported dentures you won't have to worry about your dentures slipping or falling out when you eat and talk.
- Improved Speech: Removable dentures can cause wearers to slur their speech. Implant-supported dentures are guaranteed to stay firmly in place so you can speak with confidence.
- No Need For Messy Adhesives: Since implant-supported dentures are attached with a metal bar or stud-attachment, you will no longer need to use messy adhesives to keep your dentures in place.
Other Tooth Replacement Options
Though implant-supported dentures are a great option in tooth replacement, many people would like a more natural feeling alternative in tooth replacement. For our patients in Jackson, dental implants offer the look and function their own natural teeth. Dental implants can be used to replace one or more (even a whole set) of teeth. The implant is placed in the same fashion as with implant-supported dentures. Instead of attaching dentures to the implant, a prosthetic tooth is attached to restore the feel, look, and function of the missing tooth. Dental bridges are another treatment option in tooth replacement and can also be attached with implants.
Schedule a Consultation at Premier Dental Center
We invite you to schedule a consultation with one of our friendly, experienced dentists. We look forward to fulfilling all of your dental needs.
Related to This
Outstanding staff, sincerely courteous with wonderful personalities. They make you feel relaxed and welcome. THANK YOUFlora C.