Minimally Invasive Gum Lift Surgery
By Steven Kail on December 09, 2012
An overly gummy smile can cause embarrassment and insecurity. If you suffer from insecurity caused by the appearance of your gums, gum lift surgery may be right for you. At our Jackson cosmetic dentistry practice, Premier Dental Center, we offer minimally invasive gum lift surgery. Our knowledgeable team is eager to answer your questions and create a personalized treatment plan to give you a gorgeous, healthy smile. Here is an overview of the gum lift procedure to help you decide if it's right for you.
What Is Gum Lift Surgery?
Gum lift surgery is a cosmetic procedure intended to improve the smile by contouring the gum line. This is done by removing excess gum tissue from around the teeth. The results are more even, proportionate looking teeth and gum line. Gum lift surgery is performed using a special dental laser, making the procedure minimally invasive and almost painless. Dental lasers are preferred as they are less painful than traditional scalpels and allow for more precision. Lasers cauterize as they go, for an added benefit and quicker recovery. A local anesthetic is often used for your comfort during the gum reshaping procedure.
Recovery After Gum Lift Surgery
Recovering from minimally invasive gum lift surgery is generally pretty quick. For most people, the gums will be fully healed in as little as three days, while some may require a couple of weeks. Though pain following gum lift surgery is typically minimal, a non-aspirin pain reliever, such as Tylenol, can be used to alleviate discomfort. For the first few days following your gum lift surgery, it is advisable to eat soft, cold foods. You should avoid foods that are hard, crunchy, or likely to get caught in your gums while you're recovering. Such foods can get lodged in the gums and irritate them or cause infection.
The Benefits of Gum Lift Surgery
Gum lift surgery can permanently improve the appearance of your smile by reducing excess gum tissue and contouring the gum line. Here are a few of the many benefits of gum lift surgery you may want to consider when deciding if this treatment is right for you.
- Increased Confidence: Reducing excess gum tissue and creating a sculpted gum line can give you the confidence of a beautiful smile.
- Improved Aesthetics: Gum lift surgery can improve the overall aesthetics of your smile by making your smile look more even and proportionate.
- Permanent Results: The results of a gum lift procedure are permanent.
- Correct Uneven Gums: Uneven gums can be reshaped and made symmetrical with gum lift surgery.
- Improve the Appearance of the Teeth: Gum lift surgery can be used to change the appearance of the teeth to make them look longer or smaller.
- Periodontal Treatment: Gum lift surgery can be used in some periodontal procedures like crown lengthening, pocket reduction (to reduce gum disease), and regenerative treatments.
Schedule a Consultation at Premier Dental Center
For our patients in Jackson, porcelain veneers are often placed in combination with gum lift surgery. Don't wait any longer! Begin the journey to a gorgeous smile. Contact our offices for your very own consultation.
Related to This
Outstanding staff, sincerely courteous with wonderful personalities. They make you feel relaxed and welcome. THANK YOUFlora C.