Dentistry for Children
By Steven Kail on April 08, 2013
At Premier Dental Center, you can trust our team of Jackson cosmetic dentists to provide you and your family the utmost care and understanding. It is our goal to make all of our patients, young and old alike, feel at ease during every dental visit. When it comes to children's dentistry, we offer a number of restorative and general dentistry treatments.
Children's Dentistry Treatments
Children have unique needs when it comes to dentistry. When treating children, it is important to consider whether the tooth or teeth being treated are baby teeth or permanent teeth. Children may require restorative treatments to decay or injury in baby or permanent teeth. In addition, orthodontic treatments are sometimes needed to correct crooked teeth. Here are some treatments that may benefit your child.
- Dental Fillings: Cavities are one of the most common dental issues afflicting children. Dental cavities should be treated at the first signs of decay. There are different materials available for dental fillings. Silver amalgam has fallen out of favor because the filling material is noticeable in the tooth. In addition, the silver amalgam material can expand or shrink when exposed to hot or cold temperatures; this can result in more damage to the tooth and increase the risk of tooth fractures. Tooth-colored fillings are just that, tooth-colored. They blend with the surrounding tooth, making any dental work unnoticeable. The composite resin material fills in areas of lost tooth enamel and dentin to completely restore the damaged tooth.
- Root Canal Therapy: Root canal therapy may be necessary if the center of the tooth, which holds the nerve and pulp, becomes infected. Root canal therapy is performed to remove the decayed areas of the tooth, pulp, and nerve.
- Dental Crowns: Dental crowns may be used on children in the event of dental damage. Damage may be caused by injury or decay. Teeth with large fillings benefit from dental crowns. Crowns encapsulate the damaged tooth to protect it from further damage and prevent the need for tooth extraction.
- Sealants: Dental sealants are recommended to protect the teeth from cavities and decay. Sealants are generally applied to the back teeth and are especially useful for children whose permanent teeth have recently come in.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontics is another popular treatment for children, especially those in their pre-teen or teen years. Traditional metal orthodontics may be used for purely aesthetic reasons or to correct misalignment. Invisalign® is another option in orthodontics. This treatment uses a series of clear aligner trays. Invisalign® is gaining in popularity amongst teens as it provides the benefits of orthodontics without the embarrassment of metal braces.
Schedule an Appointment with Premier Dental Center
Taking care of your child's dental health now will increase their chances of having healthy teeth as an adult. At our Jackson restorative dentistry practice, we offer a number of cosmetic and general dentistry treatment options. We would love to provide your family with dental care that will improve the health and beauty of your smile. Schedule an appointment today!
Related to This
Outstanding staff, sincerely courteous with wonderful personalities. They make you feel relaxed and welcome. THANK YOUFlora C.