Sedation Dentistry Can Improve Your Next Dental Experience
By Steven Kail on April 07, 2016
If the mere thought of going to the dentist sends your anxiety into overdrive, sedation dentistry may be right for you. Sedation dentistry helps take the fear out of dental treatment so even those with the most extreme dental anxiety can receive necessary dental care. Finding the right sedation dentist can make your next dental experience comfortable and relaxing. Drs. Steven Kail, Joseph Leonard, and Chris Arnold can tailor the level of sedation used during treatment to meet the needs of sedation dentistry candidates. If you're in the Jackson, TN area and would like to find out if sedation dentistry is right for you, we invite you to schedule a consultation with our team today.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry refers to the use of different types of medications to help relax patients during dental treatment. Sedatives can be administered in different ways, depending on the needs of the patient and level of sedation required and may be given orally in pill form, inhaled, or intravenously through a shot.
Oral sedatives are given prior to treatment to allow the sedative to take effect. Inhaled sedatives, which use nitrous oxide, work instantly and may be combined with oral sedatives to allow patients to feel relaxed and ready for treatment faster. Intravenous sedatives are also fast acting, however, they require a needle to administer.
The level of sedation is controlled by the amount of sedative administered, allowing sedation dentistry to be finely tailored to each patient. Generally, patients remain awake, or feel as though they are in a sleep-like state, while under sedation dentistry.
Are You a Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry can help those with dental anxiety feel calm and relaxed during dental treatment but it's not just for dental anxiety sufferers. Almost anyone who needs help relaxing and getting comfortable during dental visits can benefit from sedation dentistry. Candidates for sedation dentistry should be in good general health and relate to one or more of the following:
- Experience dental anxiety: Dental anxiety can manifest in many ways, like shortness of breath, feelings of panic, or heightened stress levels. Sedation dentistry can help those who suffer from dental anxiety feel comfortable, calm, and relaxed at the dentist, allowing them to receive necessary dental care.
- Suffer from back or neck pain: For those with severe back or neck pain, sitting in the dentist's chair can be extremely uncomfortable. Sedation dentistry can help because it blocks pain and increases comfort.
- Unable to sit still for long periods of time: Patients who are unable to sit for prolonged lengths of time, like those with restless leg syndrome, can benefit from the calming effects of sedation dentistry.
- Sensitive gag reflex: Sedation dentistry relaxes the body and can help those with a sensitive gag reflex undergo dental treatment.
- Undergoing oral surgery: Sedation dentistry is extremely beneficial for those undergoing oral surgery because it reduces discomfort and can make surgery pain free.
Enjoy a Relaxing Dental Experience
Sedation dentistry can help patients feel relaxed and comfortable during dental treatment. If you are interested in sedation dentistry and would like more information, we invite you to schedule a consultation with our team at Premier Dental Center.
Related to This
Outstanding staff, sincerely courteous with wonderful personalities. They make you feel relaxed and welcome. THANK YOUFlora C.